Thursday, May 3, 2012

Discipleship Series – Taking Notes




So far in this Discipleship series I've share some very fundamental information about a disciple/student; Definition of a disciple; Choosing leadership; Deciding on a field of study and Seeking education. Laying the groundwork for becoming a successful student. In the next few articles I will focus on the student's actions.

At church, I love it when an outline is included for the teaching. Some people just like to listen to the sermon, following along in their Bibles. I hang on every word, not wanting to miss a single thing, I jot down every point that is made. The Lord will speak to our hearts through the teaching and scriptures. 

I just wonder of all those who just sit in the pews, listening to the message, actually retain the information or even remember what it was about, minutes after the last song?

I've discover many things about our human nature, especially when it comes to scriptures. When we hear a lesson taught from the Bible, sometimes we will categorize those things as happening to someone else and not personalize the events.

The story of humanity is an unending story of failure and success. As we follow the guidelines set out in scripture we find success. If we don't take it to heart, we find ourselves going through the same trials and obstacles that the people in ancient times encountered.

The following is an excerpt from my new book “Footsteps of Jesus – Becoming a Disciple

Chapter 3 – Developing Discipline

A good disciple is focused on what the master/instructor says is important. His thoughts become their thoughts. His actions become their actions. Their hearts begin to beat as one. Jesus said “The Father and I are one” (John 14:11), meaning their hearts beat as one heart. Their thoughts of us were exactly the same and the mission for our salvation was their highest priority.
It is hard establishing new habits, but it is important to our spiritual health (Ephesians 4:22-23, Romans 12:1-2). As we focus on the things that are important to our Master, our heart begins to beat the same as His. We take on His attitude and actions, making His priority our priority. We develop discipline in our thoughts and actions, which leads to more freedom and opportunities.
I’ve struggled with being patient. I’ve thought “Well I have been a Christian for so and so years, why am I still struggling?” Other times I’ve thought “OK, I’ve read the Bible, I know what is says, what more is there to learn?”
The hardest part of discipleship is implementing the Word of God in my life. I try to be a good, loving and faithful Christian, but it is tougher than I thought, because it seems life is always coming at me. How soon I forget things and need to be re-taught.
# # #
I find it interesting that the Lord told his people to write down what he said. To meditate, savor and learn from his instructions. So there is something to this note taking after all.

Next in the Discipleship series: A Disciple Listens to Instructions 


This book is available at Amazon in paperback and ebook 

No comments: