Thursday, October 15, 2009

You Look Like Your Father

When someone would say that I reminded them of my father, I felt a sense of pride. I wanted to grow up to be just like my father. He was witty, charming, and generous. I liked the way people responded to his happy-go-lucky attitude. He was not perfect by any means, but my father always gave everything his best shot.

Jesus was the exact representation of his Father yet no one, including those closest to him, would believe that he and his Father were the same. Toward the end of his earthly ministry, he became quite poignant about the fact that his time was quickly coming to an end. In one conversation with his disciples, he told them he was going to prepare a place for them, and then he would return when everything was ready. The Apostle John recorded this conversation:

“No, we don’t know Lord, Thomas said, “We haven’t any idea where you are going, so how can we know the way?” Jesus told them, “I am the way, the truth and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me. If you had known who I am, then you would have known who my Father is. From now on, you have known him and have seen him!” Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and we will be satisfied.” Jesus replied, “Philip, don’t you even yet know who I am, even after all this time I have been with you? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father! So, why are you asking to see him?”” (John 14:5-9 NLT)

I am sure those comments stung a bit, but he patiently tried to make them understand, it wasn't until much later that they did. Much of our perception is primarily based on physical appearances. The disciples could not see beyond the flesh to see the Father. The flesh is of no consequence, but the spirit in you is what reveals your true character. How about you, does your life reflect who your father is? Can people see Jesus in you?


Copyright©2009tathorpe All Rights reserved

No comments: