Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Songs of Worship

I love to sing! As a child Iwas always singing little made up songs until I learned real songs. I remember singing at the top of my lungs, “Jesus Loves Me” to the whole neighborhood! I am not a musician, I don’t play instruments, but music has always moved me and inspired my thoughts and attitudes.

Singing to the Lord is something special to me. It is my way of reaching out to an invisible God and touching his heart with my love and gratitude.  Through music the Lord has done the greatest work in my life. When I ran away from him, it was through music that he got my attention and then brought me to a place of surrender. To this day, he continues to convict, comfort and assure me through music.

I am reminded of the power that songs possess. It’s amazing, when we think or hear a certain song; it stirs memories of a friendship, a romance, heartbreak, or a certain event. Songs have the power to build up or tear down, just like words, when combined with rhythm they produce a deeper emotional response.  

Jesus said, “Out of the mouth comes the attitude of the heart” (Matthew 12:34 NLT).What we say or sing, reflects our inner most feelings. So if we are feeling happy or in love, there is a song for that. If we are sad, there is a song for that. If we want revenge, there is a song for that too!

God is completely aware of our thought life. Not one thought materializes without his knowledge. So when we are singing songs, he is fully aware of the attitude of our hearts. If we are praising him with honesty and truthfulness, he is pleased and will accept that worship. If our minds are on other things, then we are just giving the Lord lip service, he will not be pleased with our words of praise, honor or commitment.

Jesus also said, “And I tell you this, that you must give an account on judgment day of every idle word you speak” (Matthew 12:36 NLT). That is very interesting,  we speak so many words, just which of those are considered “idle”. After meditating on this scripture, the Lord revealed to me that all words have purpose, even those we sing. If we sing a song to the Lord and don’t mean what we say, it’s an empty promise.

Solomon put it this way in Ecclesiastes, “As you enter the house of God, keep your ears open and your mouth shut. Don’t be a fool who doesn’t realize that mindless offerings to God are evil. And don’t make rash promises to God, for he is in heaven and you are only here on earth. So let you words be few” (Ecclesiastes 5:1-2 NLT).

Music stirs up so many emotions, it exposes our hearts to the beliefs we hold. The Holy Spirit convicts us of the truth and leads us to the place of true worship. Let us remember of who we sing and focus on him, he is the object our worship.

“Songs of joy and victory are sung in the camp of the godly. The strong right arm of the Lord has done glorious things!” (Psalms 118:15 NLT)


Copyright©2010  -tathorpe-All Rights Reserved-

No comments: